The La Scala theater is considered one of the most beautiful theaters in the world. With 3,000 seats, it is also one of the largest halls in the world, with a program that attractsopera lovers from around the world. In short, it is the home of Italian opera since 1781.
La Scala is one of the most visited sites in Milan. To avoid the crowds, we advise you to book your single tickets, or a guided tour, with skip-the-line tickets, online, to save precious time on the day of your visit.
We give you, below, all the practical information to facilitate your visit of the theater and its museum (price, organization, opening days and schedule) ….
- Where is the La Scala or alla Scala (in Italian) theater located?
- How to visit La Scala in Milan
- To know before your visit
- Course of your visit
- History of the theater
- Why is it important to go and see La Scala?
- Our tips for sleeping in Milan
Where is the La Scala or alla Scala (in Italian) theater located?
La Scala is located in the heart of the old town of Milan, in Piazza della Scala, with a “banal” facade for a theater, don’t worry, the magic happens inside the place.
The theater is located 5 minutes from the Duomo, the cathedral of Milan, so you can easily visit both sites on the same day.
The different options to get there by public transportation:
- Streetcar: line 1 or 2, stop Manzoni Scala
- Subway: line 1 or 3, stop Duomo
How to visit La Scala in Milan
The theater is open to visitors from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 amto 6 pm.
9€ full price, reduced price 6€ student and children up to 13 years old – under 12 years old free – family price
Book your ticket for the theater and the museum on the official website (0,75€ booking fee per ticket) with audio guide, in French, and date + time to be selected at the time of your booking.
Guided tour in French of La Scala
➡️ Our recommendation: book your 1-hour guided tour, in French, of the La Scala theater and museum to learn the details, secrets and anecdotes related to this incredible place and the personalities who have walked on it.
Entrance tickets are included, so you don’t have to worry about them!
Price: 29€ full price – 19€ full reduced price from 4 to 11 years old and free under 11 years old – duration 1h – date and time to be selected at the time of your reservation – entrance ticket, ticket cutter, included
Combined guided tour of the Duomo and La Scala: two major points of interest
Milan’s cathedral, the Duomo, is one of the must-see sites during your visit to Milan, why not combine the two!
Book your combined guided tour of La Scala and the interior of the cathedral, the Duomo. For 2 hours, your guide will tell you all about the history and architecture of Milan and its two unmissable sites.
Entrance tickets to both sites are included.
Price : 45€ full price – duration 2h – date and time to be selected at the time of your reservation – entrance ticket, for the 2 sites, with a ticket-cutter, included
To know before your visit
- We advise you to download the free app before your visit, and remember to bring your headphones. It is easy to use and informative. For the little ones, the application offers a playful treasure hunt through the Scala.
- We advise you to inquire about rehearsal dates, as the public is not always allowed and you will unfortunately not have access to the hall.
Course of your visit
Your visit will begin with the La Scala Museum, which houses a rich collection of paintings related to the world of opera and objects related to the theater: costumes, busts, scores, binoculars, etc. ….
Then you will cross the majestic reception hall which is used as a meeting place and exchange during the evenings of the show. Take your time to admire this room and contemplate its immense chandeliers and beautiful columns.
Then you will reach the private boxes, located on the first floor, from where you can admire the stage and the mythical hall.
History of the theater
The Scala of Milan, in Italian teatro alla Scala, was built in 1778. The theater was bombed in 1953 by the American air force and was then completely rebuilt and restored many times to become once again the temple of Italian lyrical art. Some seats can be purchased 1 year in advance and a grand opening gala is held at the beginning of each season.
Among the greatest artists who have walked on its floor we can mention Giuseppe Verdi who allowed the hall to reach its current prestige and Maria Callas who performed here for almost 10 years.
Why is it important to go and see La Scala?
It is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful theaters in the world, which is a very good reason to go and see it in real life during your visit to Milan!
Our tips for sleeping in Milan
Don’t hesitate to choose a place to stay in Milan: opt for the city center near the Duomo! This allows you to visit a large part of the city on foot. The city is full of sublime hotels.
1. Notre coup de coeur : INTOMILAN Aparthotel Galleria Duomo, situé à quelques minutes à pied du Duomo. La situation géographique de l’hôtel est parfaite pour visite Milan. Notre chambre était spacieuse, propre et avec une décoration soignée. Nous y avions passé un excellent séjour.
2. Appartement : Brera apartments Alla Scala nous avions longuement hésité avec cet hébergement également très bien placé. C’est un appartement donc cela permet de se faire à manger plus facilement qu’à l’hôtel.
We wish you an excellent trip! Don’t hesitate to leave us a quick note or 5 stars below, to tell us if you’re planning this trip, to ask any questions you may have, here or on Instagram, we’ll get back to you with great pleasure.