The old town of Kotor and its incredible mouths are a must-see, not to be missed during your vacation in Montenegro. We recommend you to get lost in its small streets where it is so pleasant to stroll and explore the beautiful bay of Kotor by boat.
We will detail our itinerary to visit the old town, the mouths of Kotor as well as to explore the surroundings of Kotor, so as not to miss anything on the spot as well as our good addresses, as always our goal is to help our readers to organize their trip easily.
- Our itinerary to visit the old town of Kotor in Montenegro [carte]
- The fortress of Kotor
- Explore the mouths and bay of Kotor by boat
- What is the most beautiful beach in Kotor?
- What to do around Kotor?
- Practical information
Our itinerary to visit the old town of Kotor in Montenegro [carte]
The old town of Kotor is beautiful, surrounded by the ramparts of the old fortress, walking through its narrow streets you will find many squares and churches.
The fortified part of Kotor is aUNESCO World Heritage Site. In high season, July and August, in order to fully appreciate your visit, we strongly advise you to visit the city as early as possible before the arrival of the tourist buses from 9:30 am.
Allow about 2 hours to explore the old town of Kotor, starting at the entrance called “Sea gate”, then stopping at one of its squares to refresh yourself.
- Clock Tower: built in the 17th century, is located on a beautiful square surrounded by bars and restaurants.
- Catholic Cathedral of St. Tryphon: is a Romanesque cathedral of the XIIᵉ century well renovated, its entrance is paid, a visit to its facade is already interesting.
- Maritime Museum: on 3 floors this museum traces the maritime history of Kotor and gathers photos, models of ships, maritime objects in order to discover the rich maritime history of Kotor. An audioguide in French is included in the ticket price 5€.
- Museum of cats: you will see many cats, often domesticated, during your walk, for the cat lovers, this museum is composed of two rooms filled with illustrations, postcards and photos of cats. Visit 1€.
The fortress of Kotor
It is a must when visiting Kotor, we advise you to go there in the late afternoon to enjoy a beautiful sunset and pleasant temperatures.
There are two options to reach the fortress:
- Paying option: from the old town (8€) the access to the fortress is done by a beautiful staircase composed of 1300 steps
- Free option: by a path, a little less pleasant, which starts at the foot of the hydroelectric station, at Tabacina 529, Kotor, 85330, on Google maps
Count on 45 minutes to 1 hour of climbing to reach the 250 meters of altitude, you will be really rewarded for your effort because the panorama on the bay of Kotor is sublime!
Explore the mouths and bay of Kotor by boat
The cliffs of the Kotor Mouths form a bay, which looks like a fjord, framed by beautiful mountains. To fully explore this bay, you should definitely book a boat tour so you can enjoy an incredible view of the bay and its cliffs.
Another point, you can enjoy and bathe in its crystal clear waters away from the crowd. In short, a must for your trip for an attractive price! We recommend the following excursion:
➡️ This comprehensive boat tour of about 3 hours will allow you to discover the main points of interest in the Bay of Kotor, Our Lady of the Rock, a church built on an artificial island, several caves in the vicinity including the famous Blue Cave, and most importantly you will be able to swim away from the crowds.
What is the most beautiful beach in Kotor?
Many coves line the bay, we spent the afternoon at Kotor Beach accessible by foot from the old town. The water is clear and refreshing, with the beautiful mountains of the Kotor fjord in the background. Sunbeds and umbrellas are available for 5€.
What to do around Kotor?
Mount Lovcen is a mountain, accessible from Kotor after a few kilometers of winding roads offering a superb view of the mouths of Kotor. The fee is 2€ per person to enter the national park. Then 5€ per adult, to reach the mausoleum and have a breathtaking view of the bay of Kotor.
We advise you to stop before the payment gates, the view is already incredible!
Visit the 3 must-see places in Montenegro
You also have the possibility, from Kotor, to let yourself be guided by a local expert in order to visit in 1 day the 3 most famous places of Montenegro, the incredible bay of Kotor, Durmitor and its famous black lake and the monastery ofOstrog, a high place of pilgrimage.
This is a great option if you don’t have much time!
Where to sleep in Kotor with a beautiful view of the bay?
We highly recommend Apartment Magic Sea View, the apartment is fully equipped and very clean with an incredible terrace overlooking the beautiful bay of Kotor.
It is located a few minutes from the old town and near a beautiful cove. We loved our stay, we should have stayed an extra night to fully enjoy the place and the accommodation. Free secure parking on site.
Where to eat in Kotor?
- Restaurant in Kotor : Pržun, the fish dishes are excellent
- Ice cream shop: Marshall’s Gelato, ice cream with original flavors and little sugar
- Pizzeria Pronto: the best value for money in the old town of Kotor
How to get to Kotor
For more freedom, we opted for a rental car that we picked up and dropped off at Podgorica airport.
There are no highways in Montenegro, you will use the national road or winding mountain roads. So short distances can take much longer than expected, you will be driving on average 40-50 km per hour. Be patient, this freedom will offer you unforgettable views!
Now we continue our exploration of Montenegro, we take you to discover the Durmitor!
We thank you for having read all the way to the end, don’t hesitate to leave us a note below to tell us if you are planning this trip, or to ask any questions you may have, we will answer you with great pleasure!