We recommend that you spend a day here, as there really is so much to see and do in Como. We enjoyed its bustle, its beautiful stores, its beautiful buildings, its adjoining harbor and its atmosphere at night.
Below, we provide you with all the information you need to prepare your future stay in Como (what to see and do in Como? Where to eat an excellent ice cream? Where to sleep? Where to take the funicular?…) as well as our best addresses on our map.
- What to see and do in Como (walks, visits…) map ?
- Our map with our best addresses
- How to get to Como?
- From Milan by bus + cruise
- Where to park in Como?
- Where to stay in Como?
- Where to eat (pizzas, ice creams…)?
- What to do in the area?
What to see and do in Como (walks, visits…) map ?
Como is the largest city around Lake Como. Located south of the lake, it’s usually the gateway to Lake Como.
We spent 1 day and 1 evening there before heading to Milan airport. We recommend strolling along the lake, then exploring its beautiful historic center. The main point of interest in Como is its magnificent cathedral, commonly known as the Duomo (in Italian, la cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta di Como).
Visit the port and the old town on foot
Here’s the itinerary we followed on our walk around the city of Como (about 2 kilometers round trip)
1- Start from the sumptuous villa Olmo located on the shores of the lake, possibility to visit the interior and its gardens.
2 – Then walk along the waterfront to Piazza Cavour (about 10 minutes walk). Take the opportunity to gaze at the boats, dreaming yourself aboard one of them and enjoying the beautiful views over the lake.
3- From here, you can walk up to the imposing Gothic-style Sainte-Marie Cathedral, then take the shopping street. Also take advantage of your visit to Como to taste the excellent and famous Italian ice creams!
Taking the high road
We also went up to the Faro de Voltiano (Volta lighthouse), entrance €2. The panoramic view over the lake is splendid, but you’ll get there via a narrow, winding road.
We suggest you take the funicular to Brunate and then walk for about 30 minutes to reach the lighthouse.
Explore the lake by boat
Explore the Lake Como by boat is an experience not to be missed. Aboard your boat, with or without a license, you can rediscover the lake and even take a dip.
To rent your boat, we recommend that you use the Samboat platform. It’s very simple, they have the most complete offer of boat rental and their website is very easy to use!
You enter your“Como” location, then your dates, then you can filter by boat type (motorboats, houseboats, small boats…), with or without a license, with or without a skipper: in short, you’re spoilt for choice.
Our map with our best addresses
How to get to Como?
From Milan by car
➡️By car, allow about 1 hour to reach Como.
Location de voiture : pour comparer les prix des locations nous vous conseillons le site RentalCars qui compare le prix de centaines d’entreprises de location de voiture pour trouver le meilleur prix.
Pour vous donner une idée de tarif, nous avons trouvé une voiture pour 50€ par jour, à l’aéroport de Milan.
From Milan by bus + cruise
➡️ If you want to save time and let yourself be guided, you can book your ticket for an excursion to Lake Como, in bus, with stops in the most beautiful villages, Como, Bellagio and Varenna, as well as a 1-hour cruise on the lake to enjoy beautiful panoramic views.
Where to park in Como?
We recommend parking outside the city center, towards Villa Olmo, where there are several free parking lots. Parcheggio Serra di Villa del Grumello is a 10-minute walk from the center.
Where to stay in Como?
We recommend that you spend at least one night in Como to fully enjoy the city’s lively nightlife.
We recommend Albergo Frirenze, the room was very pleasant and clean, ideally located near the port, everything within walking distance, with an incredible breakfast, just the way we like it. In short, a good address with excellent value for money in Como (around €100)!
Two minutes from the pier, ideal for taking a boat and then touring the lake!
Where to eat (pizzas, ice creams…)?
- Pronobis: an address located in the historical center which does not look like much, once inside the magic happens, excellent products, excellent wines, all in a warm setting!
- Of course, if you’re a regular reader, you’ll know that we took the opportunity to try out the Italian ice creams. We loved the artisanal ice creams from Guidi’ s ice-cream parlour in nearby Piazza Cavour. The flavors are original, and we recommend you try the “lemon basil”… And the flavors are just right. Let yourself be tempted without hesitation!
What to do in the area?
- Lake Como: if you come to Como, we obviously recommend renting a car to explore the picturesque villages around Lake Como, Bellagio, Varenna, Mennagio and Lecco, and to enjoy the lake’s beautiful beaches.
- Explore Lake Lake Como by boat is a must-do activity during your stay!
- The city of Milan is also a must-see, and we’ll be giving you all our tips and itinerary for the weekend!
We wish you an excellent trip! Don’t hesitate to leave us a quick note or 5 stars below, to tell us if you’re planning this trip, to ask any questions you may have, here or on Instagram, we’ll get back to you with great pleasure.