This is our favorite village around Lake Como. We loved walk through the lovely streets with colorful houses and its seaside promenade.
Below we give you all the information you need to prepare your future stay in Varenna, what to do and see on our map.
- How to get to Varenna?
- Where to sleep in Varenna?
- What to do in Varenna?
- Our map of Varenna
- Our good addresses restaurants
- How to visit Bellagio and Varenna on the same day?
- Ideas for activities in Lake Como
How to get to Varenna?
If you have rented a car you can easily reach Varenna from Milan or from Como. The national road along the lake is in very good condition and will offer you beautiful views!
How to rent a car?
To compare car rental prices we recommend the RentalCars website which compares the prices of hundreds of car rental companies to find the best price. To give you an idea of prices, we found a car for 50€ per day, at Milan airport.
You can also take a ferry from Como or Menaggio to Varenna. You will enjoy beautiful views in the middle of the lake and you will have no difficulty parking!
Ferry: Find all the information you need about the schedules and prices of the boats on the website of the Navigazion Lago Como.
Day day trip from Milan
From Milan, you can book your ticket for an excursion to Lake Como, by bus, with stops in the most beautiful towns, Como, Bellagio and Varenna, as well as a 1 hour cruise on the lake to enjoy the beautiful panoramas on the lake.
Where to sleep in Varenna?
Varenna is an authentic village in which you will feel immediately at ease, to fully enjoy its pleasant atmosphere we advise you to stay in the center.
We have selected for you 3 accommodations in the center with a good quality/price ratio.
1. Albergo Del Sole : our favourite, the hotel is located in the centre of Varenna on a lovely square, you can’t find more authentic! You will be just a step away from the lake, the villa Monastero. The restaurant is also very good. In short, you will have a pleasant stay here!
2. Varennahouse: this flat is also located in the centre of Varenna, a little bit on the heights, you can enjoy a nice view on the lake. The accommodation is spacious and comfortable.
3. Varenna Guest House: the flat is nice, clean and bright with a nice view, only 5 minutes walk from Varenna.
What to do in Varenna?
As in most of the villages around the lake, don’t miss the port with its many colorful houses and bars/restaurants overlooking Lake Como and its beaches.
Visit the old town
You will immediately love strolling through the narrow streets , admiring the colorful houses and majestic villas of this beautiful village. Take the height to enjoy beautiful panoramas!
Villa Monastero and its gardens
This is the villa to visit during your stay in Varenna. This former monastery is still furnished, you will be pleasantly surprised by its incredible garden, you will walk among fruit trees, palm trees … while enjoying beautiful views of the lake! In short, a must!
The suspended cornice “degli Innamorati di Varenna
If you arrive by ferry, you will take this magnificent suspended ledge, at the edge of the lake. Then you can continue the walk along the lake which offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountains. Small
Castle of Vezio
This castle is located, 20 minutes walk, on the heights of Varenna, it climbs a little. You can visit the castle and especially enjoy the breathtaking 360° view from the top of the castle tower.
Our map of Varenna
Our good addresses restaurants
- Al Prato Restaurant: an excellent restaurant with a beautiful terrace, the delicious Italian dishes are cooked with fresh products and presented with care. The creamy risotto is incredible. If you still have some space, you should definitely try the desserts. In short, a must during your stay!
- Il Cavatappi: a small trattoria that offers high quality dishes with fresh products as often in Italy. Everything is good, we suggest you try the orecchiette with pesto ” della nonna “. Come early because there is little room and only 3 tables on the terrace.
How to visit Bellagio and Varenna on the same day?
You can actually visit both villages, Bellagio and Varenna, in the same day, the easiest way is to go by ferry (about 15€ for a day).
Ideas for activities in Lake Como
We wish you a great trip! Don’t hesitate to leave us a note below to tell us if you are planning this trip, or to ask any questions you may have, we will answer you with great pleasure. It is always a real pleasure to read you.