Lake Como is one of the most beautiful lakes in Italy and a wonderful place to swim.
Although the water can be cool most of the year, it is very pleasant to swim in during the summer and to stroll along the water’s edge in the off-season. To help you plan your stay, we have written an article about our stay in Lake Como with our detailed itinerary and all our recommendations for restaurants, hotels… to fully enjoy this little corner of paradise.
Below, we have listed the most beautiful beaches of the lake for you!
- Where to swim in Lake Como?
- The best months for swimming
- Map of the best beaches of Lake Como
- 1. Spiaggia di Piona
- 2. Spiaggia d’Onno
- 3. Spiaggia di Lierna
- 4. Lido (pool) Menaggio
- 5. Lido of Mandello del Lario
- 6. Spiaggia di Dervio
- Where to sleep in Lake Como?
- Ideas for activities in Lake Como
- How to get to Lake Como (by plane)?
- How to get around by car?
Where to swim in Lake Como?
Before starting, you should know that there is a lot of river traffic on the lake. The boat is not only a way to visit the lake, but also a means of transporting people and goods.
The area near Como is not recommended for swimming, because the water of the lake is not very clean.
However, many Italians swim on the beach of Como, just behind the temple of Volta. However, we advise you to go further north to enjoy the clearer water and quieter beaches.
Important information, in Italian, beach is called spaggia!
The best months for swimming
As you can see, the water can be cool in the lake. We recommend the summer months: July and August for swimming.
But it remains pleasant from May to the end of September. It all depends on your resistance to the cold and the desire to swim. 😉
Map of the best beaches of Lake Como
All you have to do is enjoy yourself and if you find any beautiful beaches, don’t hesitate to share them with us in comments.
1. Spiaggia di Piona
This is our favorite of the beaches of Lake Como. It is located on the north side of the lake and offers a magnificent view of the surrounding mountains. The water is clear and clean. Ducks and some swans may come to keep you company during your swim. It is a grassy beach, you will swim with the feeling of being in the middle of nature.
2. Spiaggia d’Onno
This beach, located in a green setting near Bellagio, will delight nature lovers. The water is clear and clean, with the mountains of Lake Como in the background.
3. Spiaggia di Lierna
After your visit to the village of Varenna, stop at the beach Di Lierna, located in the northern part of the village, you can enjoy a refreshing swim in clear water with a beautiful view of the lake.
Pebble or grass beach
4. Lido (pool) Menaggio
This private beach has a swimming pool, so you can alternate between swimming in the lake and swimming in the pool.
Entrance fee about 6€, sunshade and deckchair rental
5. Lido of Mandello del Lario
This beach is located between Verenna and Lecco and is easily accessible by car. It is one of the largest beaches on Lake Como , so you will easily find space even in the summer season. It has a restaurant and a playground to keep the little ones busy.
Pebble beach, paid parking
6. Spiaggia di Dervio
This beach, locatednorth of Verenna, is easily accessible by car. The water is transparent.
Pebble and grass beach
Where to sleep in Lake Como?
1. Balcone Fiorito on the heights of Menaggio with an incredible view of the lake (about 80€)
2. Seta hôtel in the center of Bellagio with a small car park (about 130€)
3. La Canarina Bed & Breakfast next to the port of Como in a house full of charm (about 100€)
When we visit we love to spot the beautiful hotels and then bookmark them on Google for a future stay or to have ideas for accommodation on special occasions!
1. La Villa Vitali in Bellagio: to live like in the good old days in a sumptuous Villa, located a few minutes walk from the center of Bellagio. You can also enjoy a large swimming pool in a beautiful garden, a real haven of peace!
2. Bello!Lake Como Suites in Como: the rooms are superb and decorated with great taste. The hotel is centrally located. The terrace with the jacuzzi is just dyke. In short, a very nice hotel that we can’t wait to try!
3. Hotel Asnigo in Cernobbio: the big advantage of this hotel is its magnificent swimming pool overlooking the lake, one of the most beautiful in the region. The rooms are nice, clean and quiet. An ideal hotel to relax.
Ideas for activities in Lake Como
To visit the various points of interest of Lake Como, you can book your activity in advance via internet. We advise you to take a look at the website getyourguide which proposes various activities at attractive prices, it will give you ideas of activities to do on the spot.
How to get to Lake Como (by plane)?
The nearest airport is in Milan.
Depuis la France, vous pouvez trouver des vols à partir de 40€.
Nous vous conseillons le site Skyscanner, que nous utilisons généralement, pour comparer les prix des différentes compagnies aériennes et trouver votre vol au meilleur prix.
How to get around by car?
For our road trip, we rented a car in order to be able to stop whenever we wanted. The national road that goes around the lake is in very good condition. The coastal road offers nice views of the lake, but it is narrower.
Car rental: To compare rental prices we recommend the RentalCars website. To give you an idea of the price, we found a car for 50€ for 4 days through Hertz.
We checked the “debit card” option, because we had read that some rental companies do not accept credit cards. In France, the bank card is usually called credit card, however if you look on your card, you will see mentioned “debit card” on it.
We wish you a great trip! Don’t hesitate to leave us a note below to tell us if you are planning this trip, or to ask any questions you may have, we will answer you with great pleasure. It is always a real pleasure to read you.
➡️ For more information, see our article on our trip to Lake Como, our tips for the itinerary and accommodation!