We spend part of our summers in Périgueux and the Dordogne, as my family lives there. The town is known for its picturesque streets and rich heritage. And when summer rolls around, Périgueux takes on a whole new look, making it an ideal vacation destination for those looking to combine culture and relaxation.
In this article, we’re delighted to introduce you to the Périgueux Plage summer concept, which over the past few years has transformed the city’s quayside into a veritable haven of relaxation and leisure, with plenty of free activities. This is the place to be when visiting Périgueux.
A brief history of Périgueux Plage
Born of the idea of bringing a breath of vacation to the heart of the city, Périgueux Plage is an innovative project that has quickly won over locals and visitors alike. Indeed, in our opinion, this is the kind of facility that Périgueux was lacking in the summer.
Fromsummer 2021, the banks of the Isle will be transformed, offering a surprising space for leisure and relaxation in the heart of the city. It’s the little sister of Paris Plage, which we frequented when we lived in Paris. Open from mid-July to mid-August.
Discovering Périgueux Plage: Between Relaxation and Activities
Where is Périgueux plage (map)?
Périgueux plage is set up on the banks of the Isle, next to the Péniche restaurant.
Main attractions and activities
Périgueux plage is made up of 4 areas:
- Water activity: the town lends colorful pedal boatsfor a half-hour tour of the Isle. Perfect for getting a glimpse of Périgueux and Saint-Front Cathedral from the water. We look forward to your selfies with your Unicorn pedalo! Canoes and kayaks are also available for hire. Please note that there is no swimming area.
- Children’s area: this area is sure to delight children, with its large inflatable structure and games adapted to the youngest. Our daughter loved it!
- Sports and leisure: Beach volleyball, badminton and ping-pong courts are available for sports activities with friends and family.
- Relaxation and picnic areas: relaxation areas with deckchairs and parasols are available. Ideal for a riverside picnic.
Activities are free and accessible to all, making it a great place to spend the summer. soft background music create a vacation atmosphere like no other.
Key events and activities
Wednesday and Saturday events include concerts, dance classes and volleyball tournaments. We suggest you pick up the program at the Mairie.
Beaches and Bathing Places in Périgueux
If you still want to swim during your stay in Périgueux, here are a few options:
- Municipal swimming pool: the Marsac Sur l’ Ile swimming pool has several outdoor pools and a tobaggan for children, as well as a grassy area for sunbathing. Please note that theAquacap water park in Champcevinel is closed for works.
Not far from Périgueux, several sites offer idyllic settings for swimming in the heart of nature. From lakes to rivers, the Dordogne abounds in little corners of paradise. Here’s a list of the watering holes we visit during the summer season.
- Plan d’Eau de Lisle: located in the commune of Lisle, this small beach offers a pleasant setting for swimming. (20 km north of Périgueux)
- Lac de Neufont: this lake is famous for its beaches, ideal for family bathing. ( 26km south of Périgueux)
- Lac de Jemaye: nestling in the heart of the forest, Lac de Jemaye is perfect for those looking to combine swimming, hiking and picnicking in the heart of nature. (45 km west of Périgueux)
- Aux Etangs du Bos: this lake has a water park with slides and water games, perfect for children. It’s one of the best equipped in the Dordogne. (50 km south of Périgueux and 20 km from Sarlat)
- Lac de Gurson: This vast body of water offers not only bathing areas, but also activities such as fishing, canoeing and pedal-boating. (70km southwest of Périgueux)
Where to stay in Périgueux?
We recommend that you stay at Les Apparts Limogeanne, a charming address in the heart of Périgueux’s historic center (protected area) in a pedestrian street, 5 minutes from everything, including Saint-Front cathedral, restaurants, tourist office…
The accommodations are fully equipped and furnished (bed and household linen, Nespresso, Netflix…). They have just been tastefully renovated. There is air-conditioning, which was very appreciated during the hot summer days. It is simply one of our best accommodations!
We really enjoyed writing this article. We would like to thank our families and friends who gave us invaluable advice. If you enjoyed reading it as much as we enjoyed writing it, don’t hesitate to give it 5 stars below!
We wish you an excellent stay in Perigueux! Feel free to drop us a note below to let us know if you are planning this trip, ask any questions or share on social media(our Instagram) we will be more than happy to respond!