Perigueux is the city where I grew up and lived until I was 18 (Floriane). So I am a true local (Perigordian name of people who live there)! My family still lives there, so we often come back on weekends or vacations.
Today, I still like doing walking tour on the old pedestrian streets, see the old Gallo-Roman and medieval buildings without forgetting to taste the local foods specialties.
I love to show this charming city to my friends and family. It is a pleasant city who is worth to be visiting.
We share with you below, what to do and see, our ideal trip for a weekend and our secrets to visit Perigueux like a local.
- What is Périgueux know for ?
- 10 things to do and see absolutely
- Walking tour to visit Périgueux, on 1 or 2 days
- Our map
- How to come to Périgueux ?
- By car
- By train
- By plane
- Information (hotels, restaurants…)
- Things to do near Perigueux, in Dordogne ?
What is Périgueux know for ?
Located in south ouest of France, 1hour and half from Bordeaux, Périgueux, regional capital of Dordogne, is definetly worth visiting !
Its historical heritage (roman and medieval) and its excellent food make it an unavoidable tourist destination. We explain you everything below !
10 things to do and see absolutely
- Saint-Front cathedral and its roofs
- Go to markets to test local food
- Do a walk on Perigueux medieval old town
- Test Truffle (during winter)
- Learn about history at Vesuna museum
- Get a bike along river
- Take the best picture of Saint Front Cathedral
- Explore roman ruines
- Test local wines
- Eat local food in a good restaurant
Walking tour to visit Périgueux, on 1 or 2 days
Périgueux can be visited easily, walk, in 2 days. It is a city where it is pleasant to stroll, in order to discover at the bend of a curve superb buildings or a pleasant small place to take a break.
We recommend you to visit contemporary and medieval city on the first day, that is to say the protected sector of Périgueux, which extends from the quays to all the alleys around the Mataguerre Tower. Then on the second day the many remains of the ancient Roman city.
Day 1 – Market and walking tour in the old town of Périgueux: medieval part
On the first day, take advantage of the incredible atmosphere of the market, place du Coder and place de la Clautre to try the specialties of the Périgord.
Several cafés and bars surround the different markets, it is an ideal moment to drink a coffee while observing the pleasant surrounding agitation, Café De La Truffe, Café Crème (with view on the Saint-Front cathedral)…
Our favorites: the fat market to buy Périgourdine foie gras and the truffle market, to smell and buy a real Périgord truffle. The producers, passionate, will also give you plenty of explanations and advice.
The days and times of the markets are indicated below in the agenda section.
After a good meal in one of the many restaurants of the city, it’s time to explore the old town.
Thetourist office located in the Place du Coderc offers tourist circuits to discover the different points of interest of the city. We recommend that you download the @Perigueux Android and Apple Store application which also offers several routes.
➡️ Our itinerary to not miss anything, we suggest a route of about 2km, count 3h of visit, excluding the visit of the roofs. The numbers in brackets allow you to find the places mentioned on our map :
1. The Saint-Front cathedral and its roofs (1)
Listed as aUnesco World Heritage Site, it is the emblematic building of Périgueux. It is a must, that you cannot miss, during your stay in Périgueux! It was restored by the architect Paul Abadie, who later built the Sacré-Coeur in Paris.
Our recommendation: Take the high ground and visit the roofs of the cathedral to see the different domes up close. This visit will allow you to have very beautiful points of view on the river, the center and the surroundings of Périgueux. An unforgettable activity, which we have already done 3 times!
Visit possible from May to October from 4€, by contacting thetourist office of Périgueux. The interior of the cathedral is open to the public from Monday to Friday from 9am to 12:30pm and from 2pm to 6pm.
2. Stroll through the narrow streets and charming squares of the city center:
Discover on foot, the place du marché au bois (2), the adorable Limogeanne street (3), a cobbled and pedestrian street, the place saint Louis (4) with its small restaurants and its famous statue and the charming place Saint-Silain (5)…
Our recommendation: stop at the place du marché au bois to taste a home-made ice cream waffle “Aux glaces de Fanny”, in the shade of the big trees to get your strength back before the rest of your visit! You may come across us, this is one of our favorite sweet breaks in Périgueux!
3. Explore the medieval part of Périgueux:
Start with the magnificent Mataguerre tower (6), the last tower of the medieval wall that protected the city.
Then continue towards the pretty half-timbered houses of the quays: the Eschif (7), “moulin de Saint-Front” a magnificent half-timbered house, then the house of the consuls (8) and finally the Lambert house (9) with its pretty columns.
4. Discover the green way and take THE most beautiful picture of Perigueux :
The quays along the Isle river are another place not to be missed, during your stay in Périgueux. You can rent bicycles for a longer ride, go canoeing to enjoy beautiful views of the city.
Our recommendation: crossing the Barris bridge, the pleasant walk along the Isle river offers an incredible view on the Saint-Front cathedral (10) and you will be able to take one of the beautiful pictures of the cathedral !
5. Museum of Art and Archaeology of the Périgord, ideal for families
In case of bad weather, you can go to the museum of art and archeology of Périgord located in the center of Périgueux.
It is an ideal family activity, for the children a treasure hunt is proposed which crosses the various rooms, the game changes regularly.
We were almost running (calmly, yes it is possible) with my sister!
Day 2 – The city of Vesona and its renovated museum: Vesuna, the Roman part
On the second day, we recommend you to explore the ancient city of Vesone and the new Gallo-Roman museum built around the Vestiges by Jean Nouvel.
We recommend a small tour 20 minutes walk from the city center, with an interactive museum and two Gallo-Roman remains.
1. Explore the ancient city of Vesonius and its museum Vesuna
It is about vestiges of the Gallo-Roman period including a tower and the rests of a Domus (villa) from the first to the third century, today restored in a very beautiful interactive museum all glazed, therefore completely opened on the outside. There are descriptive cards everywhere, as well as videos, and tablets showing the different eras of the site.
The volumes have been preserved, which will allow you to realize the volumes of the houses of the time. Underneath the rooms you can see the hypocaust heating system.
2. Observe the tower of Vesonius
It is located right next to the museum, so you might see some high school students during their athletic session!
3. Stroll through the garden of the arena and its 2nd century amphitheater
Stroll through this beautiful garden to discover the remains of the amphitheater, then head to the center of Perigueux for lunch. For the record, a few years ago the space in front of the fountain was used as ahuge swimming pool for the young Perigordians!
The Périgord is famous for its gastronomy. In Périgueux, many markets take place where you can try all the specialties of the region.
The producers offer local products in a warm atmosphere. These markets animate the city, do not miss them during your stay in Périgueux. It is possible to eat on site.
- Every morning, from Monday to Sunday in winter period : Coderc Square, Coderc Hall.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays, the market also extends to place de la Clautre, place de l’ancien-Hôtel-de-ville, place Saint-Silain.
Truffle and Foie Gras markets…
- Foie gras markets: from November to March, every Wednesday and Saturday morning from 8 am to 12 pm, place Saint-Louis.
- Truffle market: from December to February (depending on supply), every Saturday morning, in the Maison du Pâtissier (place Saint-Louis), from 8:30 am to 12 pm.
- Summer gourmet nights: every Wednesday evening in July and August, large tables are set up to taste good products in a festive atmosphere.
- The Christmas village : From the end of November to the beginning of January, the Chalets are installed in the center of the city. As well as an ice rink and a funfair. Illuminations are also projected on the Saint-Front cathedral every evening.
- Mimos: Not to be missed, international festival of mime and circus arts (end of July). It takes place every year in theaters, streets, parks … of Perigueux. The program offers free and paying shows. During this period there is a festive and pleasant atmosphere. We love to go there when we are in France at that time. https://www.mimos.fr/ .
- Torchlight walks – in summer
- Maccadam jazz/concert in the streets – Tuesdays in July and August
- Sinfonia-International Festival of Baroque Music – End of August
- Peri’moo – in September
- International Gourmet Book Fair – biennial November
How to come to Périgueux ?
Most of the parking spaces located in the city center are not free. Good plan, the parking located on Place Montaigne, the one located below the Saint-Front cathedral, as well as the one located on the quays next to the restaurant La Péniche, are free. They are located a few minutes from the historic center.
From Paris is quite long, about 4h30, with a change of train in Limoges. From Bordeaux by train is arround 1h with SNCF. At Perigueux train station, bus line B connects station to the city center.
Dordogne nearest airport is at Brive or Bordeaux. From Paris, Air France’s hop company connects Orly airport to Brive airport or Bordeaux in 1 hour for very attractive rates.
When you will be in Brive, rent a car is the best option to reach Périgueux in a little over an hour. If you stay longer than a weekend, you can take the opportunity to explore the area. From Bordeaux, you can also came by train.
Information (hotels, restaurants…)
Our best restaurants
Périgueux is known for its gastronomy, one of the best in France! Vou really shouldn’t be disappointed.
- Wine cellar : the Chai Bordinoffers a wide selection of wines from the region. Our recommendation : the wine merchant has very good advice and takes time to advise his customers, ask for a wine according to your dishes
- Perigordian specialties: Maison Éric Requierproducer of Foie Gras du Périgord and regional products from the South West. Our recommendations the coucounettesthe famous figs with Foie Gras this sweet and salty mix will surprise you! The Royal duck breast cooked with coarse salt and filled with whole foie gras for an unforgettable aperitif!
- Chocolates, ice creams and desserts : Joseph, the excellent chocolate maker of Périgueux, he was designated “Best of the Best Chocolatiers at the World Chocolate Fair in Paris. Our recommendations : the chocolate ice cream and its chocolate bar with nuts and caramel, a real regional delight
- Wiki Burger It is the best burger in Périgueux, made only with regional products: Beef from the Mazières house. Artisanal bread from the Boulangerie de la cité. French fries with duck fat…. Lunch and dinner – menu about 10€ – terrace
- Hercule Poireau: our favorite restaurant, a must in Périgueux offering refined cuisine in a beautiful setting, lovely owners! Lunch and dinner – menu from 30 to 80€ – small terrace – reservation recommended
Where to sleep?
We recommend you to stay at the Apparts Limogeanne well located, in the heart of the historic center of Périgueux (protected area) in a pedestrian street, 5 minutes walking from everything, Saint-Front cathedral, markets, restaurants, tourist office…
Accommodations are fully equipped and furnished (sheet and towels, Nespresso, Netflix…). They have just been renovated with great taste. This is simply one of our best accommodations!
If you are looking for an Airbnb rental in Perigueux follow this link 🙂
Things to do near Perigueux, in Dordogne ?
We will prepare a complete article with a turnkey itinerary to visit the Perigord, in the meantime here are some ideas of activities at maximum 1 hour from Perigueux.
- A canoeing trip on the Dordogne or the Vézère, departure from Périgueux, Le Bugue, Brantôme…
- Sturgeon breeding and caviar tasting in Neuvic sur l’Isle (about 25 minutes from Périgueux)
- The city of Brantome, also called the green Venice (about 25 minutes from Perigueux)
- The visit of the artisanal biscuit factory La Chanteracoise (about 30 minutes from Périgueux)
- The velorail in Périgord noir, a pleasant ride in the middle of nature on an old railroad (about 35 minutes from Périgueux)
- An outing in the forest, the courses are really pleasant in the middle of the forest (about 35 minutes from Périgueux)
- The incredible cave of Lascaux IV, remember to book your ticket in advance on the internet (about 50 minutes from Perigueux)
- The national museum of prehistory in Les Eyzies de Tayac (about 50 minutes from Périgueux)
- The magnificent gardens and the Eyrignac manor (about 1 hour from Périgueux)
- The lovely village of Sarlat (about 1h15 from Perigueux), you can combine a visit to Sarlat and the Lascaux caves, information and reservation here
Have a great trip! This article help you ? Feel free to leave us a review below, ask any question, leave us 5 stars or share on social media (our Instagram) we will answer you with pleasure.