This is our favorite village around Lake Como. We loved wandering through the pretty, colorful streets of the historic center and strolling along the lakefront.
Below you’ll find all the information you need to plan your stay, what to see and do in Varenna and our points of interest on our map.
- How to get to Varenna?
- Where to sleep in Varenna?
- What to do in Varenna?
- Our map of Varenna
- Our good addresses restaurants
- How to visit Bellagio and Varenna on the same day?
- Ideas for activities in Lake Como
- How to rent a boat on Lake Como
How to get to Varenna?
If you’ve rented a car, you can easily reach Varenna after your visit to Milan, from Como or Lecco. The national road that runs alongside the lake is in very good condition and offers some great views!
Comment louer une voiture ?
Pour comparer les prix des locations nous vous conseillons le site RentalCars qui compare le prix de centaines d’entreprises de location de voiture pour trouver le meilleur prix. Pour vous donner une idée de tarif, nous avons trouvé une voiture pour 50€ par jour, à l’aéroport de Milan.
You can also take a ferry from Como or Menaggio to Varenna. You’ll enjoy magnificent panoramic views over the lake, and of course you’ll have no trouble parking!
Ferry: Find all the information you need about the schedules and prices of the boats on the website of the Navigazion Lago Como.
Excursion from Milan
From Milan, you can book your ticket for a day trip to Lake Como, by bus, with stops in the most beautiful towns, Como, Bellagio and Varenna, as well as a 1-hour boat cruise to enjoy beautiful panoramas in the middle of the lake.
Where to sleep in Varenna?
Varenna is an authentic village where you’ll immediately feel at home. To fully enjoy its pleasant atmosphere, we recommend staying in the center.
We have selected for you 3 accommodations in the center with a good quality/price ratio.
1. Notre coup de coeur : Albergo Del Sole, l’hôtel est situé en plein centre de Varenna sur une adorable placette, vous ne pouvez pas trouver plus authentique ! Vous serez ainsi à deux pas du lac, de la villa Monastero.. Le restaurant est également très bon. Bref vous y passerez un agréable séjour !
2. Avec vue sur le lac : Varennahouse : cet appartement est également situé au centre de Varenna, un peu sur les hauteurs, vous pourrez profiter d’une jolie vue sur le lac. Le logement est spacieux et confortable.
3. Varenna Guest House : l’appartement est agréable propre et lumineux avec une belle vue, seulement à 5 minutes à pied de Varenna.
What to do in Varenna?
As in most of the villages around the lake, don’t miss the port with its many colorful houses and bars/restaurants overlooking Lake Como and its beaches.
Visit the old town
You’ll love strolling through the narrow streets , admiring the colorful houses and majestic lakeside villas. Take to the skies for panoramic views of the lake and surrounding mountains! Nature is everywhere at Lake Como, so make the most of it.
Villa Monastero and its gardens
This is the villa to visit during your stay in Varenna. This former monastery is still furnished, you will be pleasantly surprised by its incredible garden, you will walk among fruit trees, palm trees … while enjoying beautiful views of the lake! In short, a must!
Degli Innamorati di Varenna” hanging cornice
If you’re arriving by ferry, you’ll take this magnificent suspended ledge along the lake – a great way to start off. As soon as you set foot in Varenna, you’ll want to take lots of photos. Afterwards, you can continue your walk along the lake, which offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountains.
This castle is located 20 minutes’ walk from Varenna. Yes, it’s a bit of a climb, but you’ll be rewarded when you reach the top. You can visit the castle and especially enjoy the breathtaking 360° view from the top of the castle tower.
Our map of Varenna
Our good addresses restaurants
- Al Prato Restaurant: an excellent restaurant with a beautiful terrace, the delicious Italian dishes are cooked with fresh products and presented with care. The creamy risotto is incredible. If you still have a little room, try the desserts. In short, a must during your stay!
- Il Cavatappi: a small trattoria that offers high quality dishes with fresh products as often in Italy. Everything is good, and we recommend you try the orecchiette with pesto “della nonna”. Come early, as space is limited and there are only a few tables on the terrace.
How to visit Bellagio and Varenna on the same day?
You can actually visit both villages, Bellagio and Varenna, in the same day, the easiest way is to go by ferry (about 15€ for a day).
Ideas for activities in Lake Como
How to rent a boat on Lake Como
Explore Lake Lake Como by boat is a must-do activity during your stay!
We hope you enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of this village as much as we did. If so, we invite you to apply for 5 stars below.
We wish you an excellent trip! Feel free to drop us a line below to let us know if you’re planning this trip, ask any questions you may have or share on social networks, our Instagram,, we’ll get back to you with great pleasure.