Looking for somewhere to stay during your stay in Perigueux? We know that choosing the right neighborhood for your stay can sometimes seem as complex as navigating its famous historic streets. But don’t worry, we’re here to guide you!
Here are our favorite areas to stay in Périgueux and visit on foot, as well as our best hotels and campsites.
The best neighborhoods in Périgueux
Below, we’ll introduce you to Périgueux’s tourist districts. We won’t mention the neighborhoods around the city center, such as Saint-Georges, Clos Chassaing or the hospital area, which are Périgueux’s residential districts.
In our opinion (of course), these are the tourist districts of Périgueux:
- In pink on our map: the historic (medieval) center, also known as the “secteur sauvegardé” (protected area), which is also Périgueux’s current city center. Stretching from the quays to the alleyways around the Tour Mataguerre, with Saint-Front Cathedral at its center. In our opinion, this is the best place to stay in Périgueux.
- In orange on our map : the Gallo-Roman zone, with the ancient city of Vesone and the new Gallo-Roman museum built around the Vestiges by Jean Nouvel, not forgetting the arena garden.
- In blue on our map: this is clearly not a district, but rather a geographical area we find interesting, which we call the banks of the Isle. With the banks of the canal offering a lovely place to stroll, and crossing the Pont Saint-Georges, you ‘ll have a great view of Saint-Front cathedral from the quayside.
A downtown hotel
The ideal place to stay is rue Limogeanne , Périgueux’s most charming pedestrian street, just a few meters from Saint-Front cathedral. Last but not least, you can visit Périgueux’s main points of interest on foot.
You can also stock up on good Périgord produce at the various markets.hes, place du Coder (next to the tourist office) or place de la Clautre (on the forecourt in front of the Cathedral). The historic center is also home to most of the city’s restaurants to try in Périgueux.
We recommend you stay at Les Apparts Limogeanne, a charming address in the heart of Périgueux’s historic center (protected area) in Rue Limogeanne, a pedestrian street 5 minutes from everything, including Saint-Front cathedral, restaurants, tourist office…
The accommodations are fully equipped and furnished (bed and household linen, Nespresso, Netflix…). They have just been tastefully renovated. There is air-conditioning, which was very appreciated during the hot summer days. It is simply one of our best accommodations!
By the river
Right next to the old town, the Quais de l’Isle is an ideal place for a stroll, and above all offers an incredible view of Saint-Front cathedral, from which we love to take photos!
Another point: downtown Périgueux can be very busy in summer, and accommodation quickly fills up. You can move away from the town center for more peace and quiet. The banks of the Isle can be a good alternative to the city center. The accommodation we offer is geographically close to the Vesonius Tower and the museum of the same name.
Les berges de l’Isle, just a 15-minute walk from Périgueux and close to the Gallo-Roman area, on the water’s edge, the apartment sleeps 4, with 2 terraces to enjoy the outdoors.
Choose a campsite
There are no longer any campsites located in Périgueux itself. The two campsites closest to the town center are the following, both of which are located in the heart of nature:
- Camping Sandaya Le Grand Dague: a 5-star campsite ideal for family vacations, with its vast water park and a host of free activities. Types of accommodation, cottage and tent and camper pitches. The campsite is located in Atur, about 10km south of the center of Périgueux.
- Camping Au fil de l’eau: a 3-star campsite with swimming pool in the heart of nature, with entertainment in high season. Types of accommodation: mobile homes, canvas bungalows and pitches. The campsite is located in Antonne-et-Trigonant, 10 km east of Périgueux.
Motorhome park Périgueux
The Espace des Prés communal motorhome park is located next to the river in a tranquil setting, about a 10-minute walk along the river from the town center. The site offers a full range of services (water, black and grey water drainage). The site is very quiet at night.
Entrance is via a terminal with automatic barrier. Payment is only possible by credit card. Parking is authorized for 48 hours. Last but not least, if you’re traveling with a toddler like us, there’s a playground adjacent to the area.
We wish you an excellent stay in Perigueux!
Feel free to drop us a line below to let us know if you’re planning this trip, ask any questions you may have or share on social networks(our Instagram) we’ll be happy to get back to you! Don’t hesitate to leave us your good accommodation addresses in comments.